The L-1 Visa is available to employees of corporations operating outside of the United States that also either have an office in the United States or wish to establish an office in the United States. The employee must be a manager, executive or an employee with special knowledge. Also the employee must have been working for the corporation for at least one year.

The employee may also bring a spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old under an L-2 visa. Under an L-2 visa the spouse may work and the children may go to school.

If the L-1 Visa employee is working at an established U.S. office that employee, spouse and children may immediately apply for a green card. If the employee is working at a newly established U.S. office the employee, spouse and children may apply for a green card after one year.