Obtaining Permanent Residency Status

By establishing permanent residency, a legal immigrant to the U.S. can remain indefinitely in the U.S. When you successfully adjust your status to become a permanent resident, you will receive a card that recognizes your status. This is what is called getting a "green card."

While a permanent resident does not have all of the legal rights of a U.S. citizen, they are allowed to work, pay taxes, own their own home, and otherwise live their lives in America legally, securely and permanently. You can petition to become a U.S. citizen after five years as a permanent resident. If your spouse has sponsored you and are still married, you may apply for your U.S. citizenship after only 3 years.

 Questions On How To Get A Green Card?

Jeffrey B. Peltz, P.C., is a law firm that has helped lawful immigrants obtain permanent residency for over 30 years. A staple of Brooklyn, New York, Jeffrey B. Peltz has received many referrals from former clients who have helped relatives, colleagues and others obtain permanent residence in the U.S.

We care about our clients, about our community and about helping hard-working and good people achieve their goals. Our lawyers will work diligently to help you obtain permanent residence in the U.S. We will confidently and capably guide you through your case until it is resolved. 

 In The U.S. On A Temporary Visa? Know About The Doctrine Of "Dual Intent."

In order to obtain a nonimmigrant visa to come to the U.S., you must have a reason established by U.S. law. This can be to work temporarily in the U.S., visit relatives or to study. A nonimmigrant visa is temporary. 

That is why in U.S. immigration law, there is a legal concept called "dual intent" that allows some individuals with a temporary nonimmigrant visa to petition to obtain an adjustment of status to become a permanent resident. This is important because much of immigration law can depend upon the intent of the immigrant. Under the doctrine of dual intent, an immigrant can enter the U.S. on a temporary visa and still petition to obtain a green card when eligible. 

 Ways To Establish Permanent Residency

There is more than one way to obtain permanent residency status. We help immigrants get their green cards through:

 We also help immigrants who are divorcing or have obtained a divorce prior to obtaining their green cards understand their rights and legal options. 

 We charge $200 for an immigration consultation.  If you retain us to represent you in your immigration matter the $200 will be applied towards our legal fee.

If you would like to meet with an experienced and knowledgeable immigration law attorney call our office at 718-625-0800 or reach us online. You can reach our office in Brooklyn easily from anywhere in New York City. We represent clients in all boroughs and are available to meet evenings and weekends.