If your spouse sponsored you for your green card and you have not yet received your permanent green card you will need your spouse’s cooperation to order to obtain your permanent green card. There are two exceptions to this rule.

The first exception is if you are a victim of physical abuse by your spouse.  In such a situation you may be able to obtain your permanent green under the battered spouse exception.     In order to qualify under this exception, you must have started a divorce action based upon the abuse, and you must have proof of the abuse.  Proof may include photos, witnesses to the abuse, and medical records. Also there should be police reports of the abuse and an order of protection against the abusive spouse.  The more of these things that you have the more likely you will be successful in ending your marriage and obtaining your permanent green card.

The second exception is if you are divorced and you can prove that the marriage was a bona fide marriage and not just for the sole purpose of obtaining a green card.  You can prove this with documents and photographs.   Examples of documents include, leases with both names, mortgage and deed with both names, birth certificate of any children born during the marriage, joint bank account statements, life insurance naming the other spouse as beneficiary, joint tax returns, and photographs of the two of you at various times during the marriage.

In either case you should consult with local immigration attorneys to discuss your individual situation.   Many immigration attorneys, like us, will provide you with a free consultation.

There are many New York immigration lawyers, however, you should look for an immigration lawyer in New York that has many years of experience and satisfied clients.  In order to fully assist you in your immigration case, you need more than just an immigration lawyer, you also need a lawyer experienced in family law.  An attorney experienced in both immigration and family law will be able to understand your entire legal situation and assist you in both aspects.  By using only one lawyer you will save effort and most likely time and money as well.

If you are looking for such an immigration lawyer in New York City we may be the one to help you.  In addition to 30 years of experience in immigration matters we have experience in family law matters as well, including in the areas of annulment and divorce.  We also have a proven track record in the areas of immigration and family law.  Since 1986 we have helped thousands of clients with immigration and family law matters.  You may search online for our reviews.  You will find that we have many extremely satisfied clients.  Many of our former clients have sent their family and friends to us when needing an immigration lawyer in NYC.

If you are looking for a New York immigration lawyer call us at (718) 625-0800 to schedule your consultation.   We charge $200 for an immigration consultation.  If you retain us to represent you in your immigration matter the $200 will be applied towards our legal fee.